Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What happened to my generation?



I don't know why the girls of Generation X, my generation, quit cooking.  For the most part, their mothers cooked and baked.  I remember walking into my home after school to the beautiful site of my mother baking cookies or preparing dinner.  It was never a frozen lasagna; it was something homemade.  It was comforting.


I remember the first time I saw "Uncrustables" in the store.  These are processed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, frozen for your convenience.  I couldn't believe it.  How hard is it to make a PB and J?  I thought of my kids and the homemade freezer jam I make with blackberries and raspberries that we pick in the summer months.  I know women are busier than ever, but I feel this is important.  I think this is especially important if you have male children.  YOU are the first woman of importance in their life.  


I didn't always feel this way.  No... I remember when I was first married.  My poor young husband had to endure a wife who didn't know how to make eggs, or pasta or even bake potatoes.  But I made an effort to learn because I felt it instinctively; as though I was born to do this.  I started out with a few basic recipes, which I followed EXACTLY.  I even put my ingredients pre-measured in bowls, just like on the cooking shows!  Eventually, I became less militant and more confident.  Now I can make pretty much anything.


When we cook for our families, we show them how much we love them.  We are caring for their physical well-being.  Our grandmothers knew this secret!  Women used to gather and prepare large meals together.  They took pride in their craft.  Interesting to note that our grandmothers used to put their pies on the windowsill to cool; their granddaughters place pies on the windowsill to thaw.  


Let's change this!  Whether you work outside or inside the home, cooking is an art form that can be easily mastered with effort and desire.  The acknowledged result (otherwise known as "Mom, can I have seconds?") will be well worth it.  Trust me ladies!


With love,


Julie