Monday, July 11, 2011

Dining like it's Summer!

As I type this, it is pouring down rain outside. In July. Where I live, the summer is brief and just when we get used to the scattered warmth, it's gone! I was meant to be a California girl.

This is one reason why I like to prepare dinners on these rainy days which remind me of picnics, barbecues and summer get-togethers. My friend Jill shared this recipe (I think it's from Picky Palate) and I've made it quite a few times. When paired with corn-on-the-cob, baked beans and watermelon, it's as though summer really is here...

This recipe calls for just two large chicken breasts to feed six people, and it does! I double the honey in the barbecue sauce because I like extra honey. My kids actually like this cole slaw because there is no vinegar in it. It's very mild and great with the BBQ chicken.  You haven't really lived until you've put cole slaw on a slider!

Shredded BBQ Chicken Sliders With Creamy Cole Slaw

Homemade BBQ Sauce

1 ½ cups ketchup
3 TB dijon mustard
4 TB Worcestershire sauce
2 TB apple cider vinegar
1 ½ TB lemon juice
4 TB brown sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp honey
pinch of salt

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

Combine all ingredients for BBQ sauce (I never make anything unless I have ALL the ingredients) into a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and stir in shredded chicken. Let simmer.

Creamy Coleslaw

16 oz bag of coleslaw mix
½ cup mayonnaise
2 TB sugar
1 TB dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
12 whole wheat dinner rolls

Place cabbage into a bowl. Combine the mayo, sugar, mustard and honey into a separate bowl and mix together. Pour and stir into cabbage until well combined. I like to refrigerate for 30 minutes and stir again.
Try these!  Soooooo good.
To assemble sliders, spoon BBQ chicken onto bottom rolls. Top with a spoonful of coleslaw then close with top rolls. Enjoy!