Sunday, August 7, 2011

To Die For Fettuccine Alfredo

I make my Fettuccine Alfredo a couple times a year. Many people swear off cream sauces. My take: If you are a healthy person who eats a variety of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins and smart carbs; if you exercise regularly; if you don't indulge in “treats” every day... then go ahead and enjoy! Alfredo sauce ranks right up there with cheesecake for me. I have modified this recipe to achieve what I enjoy at Olive Garden. It's an occasional treat and I love it – so much that I made it tonight. :)

Julie's Restaurant Style Fettuccine Alfredo

16 oz Fettuccine noodles, dry
¾ cup butter
1 pint heavy cream
3 ½ cups shredded hard Italian cheeses (Parmigiano Reggiano, Asiago, Romano, Fontina, ect)
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste
Parsley and shredded Parmesan for garnish
Minced fresh garlic (optional)

In a large saucepan, melt butter into cream over low heat. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic. Stir in cheese, one cup at a time, until melted. Be sure to stir frequently! This will thicken the sauce. While cheeses are melting, bring a large pot of salted water to rapid boil. Add pasta and cook to al dente; drain. When sauce is thickened and cheese is melted, transfer to a 9 x 13 glass pan. Add noodles to sauce and toss to coat. Garnish with parsley and parmesan. Makes eight servings. I sometimes add grilled chicken and steamed broccoli.