Thursday, August 18, 2011

Baked Coconut Shrimp

Last night, I was working out at the gym pretty late. The television on the Stairclimber I was panting on showed a commercial for Red Lobster's Coconut Shrimp. I started thinking about where the closest RL was, how I could make my post workout-window, and how soon I could get out of there with an adequate amount of calories burned. Then I had a crazy thought: Why don't I go home and make Coconut Shrimp myself?

I stopped by Safeway and picked up some prawns and buttermilk. Why buttermilk? No clue. I just thought it might be good to dip the shrimp in buttermilk followed by coconut. It was PERFECT.

I chose to bake, instead of deep fry like traditional Coconut Shrimp. I try to oven-bake instead of deep-fry when I can for a healthier choice. I couldn't tell the difference – delicious!

Baked Coconut Shrimp

1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used 19/26 size)

1/3 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 cups flaked sweetened coconut

½ cup low-fat buttermilk

Dry shrimp with paper towels.  Combine cornstarch, salt and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Place buttermilk in a second bowl, followed by flaked coconut in a third bowl. One at a time, dip shrimp (by the tail) into the dry ingredients, then the buttermilk, and finally the coconut. Liberally apply the coconut! Place on a baking sheet lightly oiled or covered with parchment paper. Lightly spray tops of shrimp with cooking oil. Bake for 8 minutes at 400 degrees. Turn over shrimp and reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 8 minutes or until shrimp is bright pink and coconut is browned.